[Vision2020] UI to Furlough Employees

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Tue Mar 2 16:33:11 PST 2010

UI is in a mess, from what I can tell, mainly because of mismanagment.
Whoever decided to spend tens of millions of dollars to renovate the Kibby Dome should be terminated.  The board of regents who approved that should be replaced.
$14 million was spent last year on the project and another $23 million has been allocated recently.
It's not a coincidence that the UI is in a multi-million dollar hole.  It's stupid decision making at the top, the guys who are paid way too much to screw over higher education.
So as millions of our tax dollars are spent on a frivilous function of a university, the academic side is cut while students are expected to pay more.
Quite a travesty that those affiliated with the UI are letting this happen.
The saddest part is that this is happening at all public universities.
Salaries need to be capped.  There is no reason for people to be making hundreds of thousand dollars.
Where are our elected officials who should be holding a tax-supported institution accountable?
UI should be focusing on academics, not sports and entertainment.  The fact that the Kibby Dome is given such high priority while the core of UI is expected to bare the brunt speaks volumes about how the UI is being mismanaged.
Meanwhile, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is quite cynical about the matter...

Garrett Clevenger