[Vision2020] "Five Thousand Gulf Oil Spills" 168 Responses

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 19:38:12 PDT 2010

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2010/06/five-thousand-gulf-oil-spills/

Five Thousand Gulf Oil Spills

Filed under:

   - Climate Science<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/category/climate-science/>

— david @ 16 June 2010

That’s the rate that people are releasing carbon to the atmosphere from
fossil fuel combustion and deforestation today. I know, it’s apples and
oranges; carbon in the form of oil is more immediately toxic to the
environment than it is as CO2 (although CO2 may be more damaging on geologic
time scales). But think of it — five thousand spills like in the Gulf of
Mexico, all going at once, each releasing 40,000 barrels a day, every day
for decades and centuries on end. We are burning a lot of carbon!
 Comments (pop-up) (168) <http://www.realclimate.org/?comments_popup=4120>