[Vision2020] The Human Toll

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jun 29 13:39:38 PDT 2010

Courtesy of the July 5, 2010 edition of the Army Times -

-------------------------------

The following U.S. service member died while supporting combat operations
in Iraq, confirmed by the Defense Department from June 18, 2010 through
June 24, 2010:

Army Spc. Jacob P. Dohrenwend, 20, of Milford, Ohio;  assigned to the 1st
Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st
Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kansas.

June 18, 2010 – June 24, 2010
Killed: 1; Wounded in action: 5

March 19, 2003 – June 24, 2010
Killed: 4,397; wounded in action: 31,865

-------------------------------

The following U.S. service members died while supporting combat operations
in Afghanistan, confirmed by the Defense Department from June 18, 2010
through June 24, 2010:

Army 1st Sgt. Robert N. Barton, 35, of Roxie, Mississippi; assigned to 2nd
Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st
Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Marine Sgt. Joseph D. Caskey, 24, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; assigned to
3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine
Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, California.

Marine Cpl. Kevin A. Cueto, 23, of San Jose, California;  assigned to 3rd
Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine
Expeditionary Force, based at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center
Twentynine Palms, California.

Marine Cpl. Daane A. Deboer, 24, of Ludington, Michigan;  assigned to 1st
Combat Engineer Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary
Force, Camp Pendleton, California.

Marine Cpl. Joshua R. Dumaw, 23, of Spokane Valley, Washington; assigned
to 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, II Marine Expeditionary Force, based at
Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina.

Army Pfc. Anthony T. Justesen, 22, of Wilsonville, Oregon;  assigned to
Troop B, 4th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team,
82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Army Sgt. Andrew R. Looney, 22, of Owasso, Oklahoma; assigned to the 2nd
Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st
Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Army Staff Sgt. Edwardo Loredo, 34, of Houston, Texas;  assigned to 2nd
Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team,
82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Army Pfc. Russell E. Madden, 29, of Dayton, Kentucky; assigned to the 1st
Squadron, 91st Cavalry Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team, Conn
Barracks, Germany.

Army Pfc. David T. Miller, 19, of Wilton, New York; assigned to the 2nd
Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st
Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Marine Cpl. Claudio Patino IV, 22, of Yorba Linda, California; assigned to
3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine
Expeditionary Force, based at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center
Twentynine Palms, California.

Army Spc. Jared C. Plunk, 27, of Stillwater, Oklahoma; assigned to the 1st
Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st
Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Army Pfc. Robert K. L. Repkie, 20, of Knoxville, Tennessee; assigned to
the 782nd Brigade Support Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd
Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Marine Lance Cpl. William T. Richards, 20, of Trenton, Georgia; assigned
to 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine
Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

Army Spc. Blair D. Thompson, 19, of Rome, New York; assigned to the 1st
Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st
Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Army 1st Sgt. Eddie Turner, 41, of Fort Belvoir, Virginia;  assigned to
the 626th Brigade Support Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade
Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell,
Kentucky.

June 18, 2010 – June 24, 2010
Killed: 16; Wounded in action: 114

October 10, 2001 – June 24, 2010
Killed: 1,119; Wounded in action: 6,480

-------------------------------

National Guard (in Federal Status) and Reserve Activated
(as of June 22, 2010)
http://www.defense.gov/news/d20100622ngr1.pdf

And the beat goes on . . .

"Bring 'em Home"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Bring_em_Home.mp3

"If you love this land of the free
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
Bring them back from overseas
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

It will make the politicians sad, I know
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
They wanna tangle with their foe
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

They wanna test their grand theories
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
With the blood of you and me
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Now we'll give no more brave young lives
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
For the gleam in someone else's eyes
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The men will cheer and the boys will shout
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
Yeah and we will all turn out
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The church bells will ring with joy
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
To welcome our darlin' girls and boys
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

We will lift our voice and sound
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home
Yeah, when Johnny comes marching home
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home."

Pro patria,

Tom Hansen
SFC, US Army (Retired)
Moscow, Idaho

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the
tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."

-- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.