[Vision2020] Fw: Sentence Appropriate?

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Jun 21 18:51:56 PDT 2010

First of all, I don't think "hired gun" witnesses who present very biased testimony are limited to the defense.  In the 1st district there was a so-called expert who only testified for the prosecution.  I thought this witness was wrong sometimes almost to the extent of perjury.  I think the testimony from this witness wrongfully convicted several people.  Someone finally caught on and I do not think this witness is used much anymore.

I have tried to look at several files lately in the courthouse where there was a withheld judgment given.  Only the original complaint, part one of the Judgment of Conviction, and some other very trivial documents were available, everything else was sealed.

I'll see in July what's available in the Heustis file.

When I speak of expungement, I speak of what goes on in some other states like California. Kenny Piel's conviction for assaulting a prisoner was expunged in California, for example.  I mentioned expungement because it works in other places similarly to a withheld judgment in Idaho.

The old saying "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" often applies to the world view of attorneys who specialize in criminal defense work and to prosecutors.  Each has mission in the advocacy system, and each tends to see the world in such a way to be successful in their mission, and to live with themselves.  Do not think I'm advocating a different system, probably nothing else would work better, but to say that the advocacy system is without problems would be delusional.

Our country has not dealt very successfully with keeping a low crime rate when compared to other developed countries.  While this is a very complex matter, and not all related to what happens in the criminal justice system, the element of personal responsibility seems to play a role in such matters.  We ought to do what we can to foster it including having people acknowledge their actions.

As for prosecutors being Old Testament in Latah County:  What a joke!  Latah county is a defense attorney's paradise -- like Boundary County is now.

W.