[Vision2020] Sentence Appropriate?

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Jun 21 13:19:41 PDT 2010

Given the information in the news article and the Idaho Repository, Heustis did not cop a plea:

"During the sentencing, Michelle Evans, senior deputy prosecuting attorney for Latah County, asked for 10 years probation and a 90-day jail sentence.

"I think that it's appropriate to impress upon Mr. Heustis ... the seriousness of what he did," she said."

Heustis pled guilty as charged, and the sentencing was determined in a normal sentencing process and hearing, the same as if he was found guilty in a judge or jury trial.  See:

https://www.idcourts.us/repository/caseHistory.do?roaDetail=yes&schema=LATAH&county=Latah&partySeq=1684&displayName=Heustis%2C+Kendall+Wayne

Notice also the following actions:

Order for Evaluation

Presentence report

Addendum to Presentence Report

Paul writes:

"A couple of days later, he's in jail and scared for his life.  He's sees how many people out there assume he rapes babies on a daily basis, and he desperately doesn't want to go to prison for 15 years labeled as a sex offender because he knows that could very well happen if the prosecutor plays the "think of the children!" card and the jury is not very sophisticated about this whole online thing.  So he cops a plea and gets off with a reduced sentence and carries the "sex offender" brand on his forehead for the world to see and gets to read about how it's a crime that he was let out so soon and that he should be made to suffer more on a local mailing list."

Heustis was originally charged on 05/05/2009.  His guilty plea was entered on 04/09/2010.  Hardly a couple of days later.  He agrees to plead guilty and go through the normal sentencing process where an evaluation is made and both the prosecution and defense make their recommendations to the court.

Paul's hypothetical case has vanished based on the facts.  In addition, if someone pleads guilty to something they did not do, that would be perjury.

The problem now is that most of the case has been sealed since Heustis was given a withheld judgment.  The original complaint and part of the Judgment of Conviction may be available. The part of the Judgment of Conviction which deals with the meat of the matter has probably been sealed.  The public is now prevented from examining the facts of the case in order to judge the actions of the prosecution (which also recommend a weak sentence) and of the judge. Very convenient.  A CYA move by the judge and prosecution since a withheld judgment is hardly appropriate for Heustis given his prior criminal convictions.

W.