[Vision2020] The Danish Island that went Carbon Negative

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 12:05:26 PDT 2010

Thanks for this article.

On the subject of carbon negative...

Carbon negative biofuel power plants that employ carbon capture and
sequestration (CCS) might be a solution to lowering atmospheric CO2 levels.
However, some of the same problems that coal fired power plants face with
implementing CCS (cost, safe long term storage of millions of tons of CO2)
could be present.

An interesting academic article on this subject is at this website.
Biochar, also presented in this article, is a not widely discussed way to
address the CO2 problem:

http://www.mgsm.edu.au/wps/wcm/connect/f18b88004bd3ebcbbe60bff6e33eda3b/Carbon-negative+biofuels.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
-------------------

Coal fired electric plants with high percentage CCS could go a long way
towards reducing US oil dependence and CO2 emissions, with expansion of
electric vehicles, along with expansion of nuclear power for electricity.
The US has more coal than any other nation.  Coal gasification is also an
alternative to oil for powering the transportation system, but this does not
solve the CO2 emission problem.  Coal extraction, however, especially
mountaintop removal, is too environmentally destructive.

So far, "Clean Coal" is greenwash as far as CO2 emissions are concerned.  It
has yet to be demonstrated that massive coal electric power can be provided
with high percentage CCS, partly because CCS drives up the cost of
electricity, and partly because of the storage problem of the millions of
tons of CO2 generated.

The coal industry's "Clean Coal" campaign is misleading, if not outright
fraudulent.

Note that there is no massive advertising campaign, like the "Clean Coal"
campaign, to promote expansion of nuclear power.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett