[Vision2020] Skewed Priorities or Business as Usual?

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Thu Jun 10 10:10:38 PDT 2010

Stepping in where I really don't know beans...about coaching, I mean.   But
I do agree with Tom.  Rob Akey is an impressive human being.  Not since
Chris Tormey (who was my 201 aide when he was going to the U of I) has there
been a coach so genuinely involved in the lives of the people in the
community, in the schools, and who wants the very best for his players.
Last year's game against Louisiana Tech made the season for me.  Admittedly,
I never went to a school with an outstanding football team--high school,
Baylor U, U of I, so I don't have an experience with winning consistently.
It would be nice though, to have the opportunity to celebrate as my U of
Oklahoma brother does (well not last year,) but I do believe that under the
direction of Rob Akey and his staff they will be able to recruit players
with academic ability as well as athletic prowess.  Here at the U of I that
has to be an uphill battle.  The loss of scholarships is a sad reflection on
one important aspect of the program., but I believe it's too soon to blame
Akey.   We are still paying for Dennis Erickson's arrogant approach.
Anyway, I think Rob Akey a good person, and he and Molly bring positives to
the community in much greater measure than just football.  I think of it
this way, I feel a lot more content watching football games as Akey builds
his program, than I did watching Erickson build his image.

Sue H.