[Vision2020] Skewed Priorities or Business as Usual?

Gier, Nicholas NGIER at uidaho.edu
Thu Jun 10 09:59:10 PDT 2010

Hi Wayne:

I've written two columns on UI athletics and they can be found at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/athletics.htm  I did not focus on number of scholarships but I did find a some dollar amounts.  Full ride athletic scholarships (for I believe about 300 students) account for more than half the privately funded scholarships granted to UI students. Below you will find an excerpt from my second column.

Something I need to add to the column is the fact that athletic spending per student at UI ($917) is greater than the average of its conference the WAC($824), much larger than BSU ($593), and far greater than the PAC-10 ($359).

Here is the excerpt:

Since 1997 all UI departments have paid an administrative fee on all external funds to the central administration. The fee has now risen to 8 percent, but athletics only pays 3 percent. From 2001-2004 athletics paid no administrative fee at all, claiming that it had to reach gender equity goals, while all other units paid 5 percent. What is odd about this excuse is that UI athletics has received gender equity money from the Legislature, starting with $115,000 in 1997 and growing to $809,266 this year (FY09).

Many other departments could give much better reasons why they too should be exempt from this administrative fee. Auxiliary services and facilities management generate lots of external funds, and they could very well argue that their salaries, 19 percent of which are below the poverty level, should rise before they are required to pay the fee.

The athletic department has also defended its low administrative fee by boasting it returns $2.5 million back to the university in tuition, fees, room and board for scholarship students. Over half these scholarships, however, are funded by the state. Private scholarship funds for all UI colleges total $4.1 million, so they have yet another good reason to have a lower administrative fee.

Nick