[Vision2020] Say What? (local/recent)

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Fri Jun 4 12:50:58 PDT 2010

I have checked and despite his claim, we can find nothing to indicate Mr.
Velarde ever graduated from or even attended Moscow High School.

1.   We are fortunate to have had teachers on foreign exchange because our
students benefit from what they bring back home.  I feel confident in my
claim no teachers from this district went as foreign exchange teachers
because they, "had to get out of the country."  One would not be selected as
a foreign exchange teacher if that were the stated reason.  Foreign exchange
teachers sign pretty significant commitments that require them to take our
culture to the place they go, and bring home information to our students
when they return.  It simply isn't a run-away type of commitment.  So I feel
pretty confident he's not telling the truth there either.

2.  Graduation speakers are chosen by the graduating seniors as teachers who
were significant to their lives as high school students.  Those of us who
were and are chosen consider it a signal honor to be selected.  By the time
we make those speeches students know our politics very well, and have had
many opportunities to butt heads with us regarding our ideology and their
response to it.  I would never have made my ideology the hallmark of my
speech though, but in his rant Mr. Velarde isn't specific.  What was the
political ideology directed to him as a pseudo-graduate:  perhaps as
citizens we have an obligation to care for each other; or we as citizens
have a responsibility to obey the law, protect the defenseless, feed the
hungry; or maybe even the point that Sweden takes better care of their needy
than we do.  All of those could be ideologically perceived.  Which would be
inappropriate for a graduation speaker?     And really, to whom,
specifically, does he refer?  I can't imagine why in the world he would be
reluctant to name names.  He has absolutely nothing to lose except his claim
to validity.

3.  Yes, MHS does have a Gay-Straight Alliance Club.  It saves lives,
promotes justice, teaches tolerance, and helps students concentrate on
academics instead of other concerns.  School clubs use few tax dollars--the
cost of lights and heat in what ever classroom they meet after school; but
students are free to form clubs that meet their needs,  both religious and
other.  The US Supreme Court says public schools generally must allow all if
they allow any.

4.  I do not know what to make of the final comment as I have no idea who
constitutes the, "idiotic, pseudo-liberal NAZI contingent."

I do not assume that just because the message is on Mr. Young's Facebook, he
supports the content.  I will ask him if he wishes to respond on V 2020
inasmuch as it has now appeared here.

Sue Hovey