[Vision2020] Caturday (July 31, 2010)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jul 31 18:43:14 PDT 2010

Courtesy of the Times-Herald (Coweta, Oklahoma) at:

http://www.times-herald.com/local/Firefighter-saves-same-cat-twice-1227765

----------

Firefighter saves same cat twice

By Elizabeth Richardson

The Times-Herald

A firefighter who rescued a cat from a well in west Coweta on June 29
stepped up to rescue the cat a second time on Tuesday.

The cat, which was taken into the custody of Coweta County Animal Control
following its rescue a month ago, was scheduled to be euthanized Wednesday
morning. No one claimed the furry feline, which suffered from fleas, and it
was not apparent whether it was wild or domesticated.

The Coweta County firefighter who descended 40 feet into a well at 866
Welcome to Arnco Road to rescue the cat on June 29 decided "for it to die
tomorrow would be a waste of what we did."

Coweta firefighter Jim Cadenhead went to the shelter on Selt Road at lunch
Tuesday to retrieve Wellie the cat.

He was notified of the cat's pending demise from a shelter rescue group who
urged him to take action. But, long before strangers urged him to save
Wellie, his two daughters, ages 10 and 11, had pleaded on the cat's behalf.

"They wanted me to get the cat when I rescued him," said Cadenhead. "They've
been begging for the cat. When I told one of my daughters [Tuesday] about
what was going to happen, she told me, 'Daddy, go get that cat.'

"A group of guys at the fire department had some time and effort in getting
this cat out of that hole," he continued. "We did a big thing and had a
positive outcome. This was quickly going from a positive to a negative. It
made it worthwhile to go get the cat."

For now, the cat will reside with Cadenhead. However, its future residence
remains uncertain because the firefighter already has two large hound dogs
that "don't like cats."

"I might give the cat to my mom -- at least that way my daughters can still
see the cat."

Coweta Firefighter Jim Cadenhead holds the cat following the rescue from a
well in late June.

CatfromWellRescue_072810.jpg

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"A meow massages the heart."