[Vision2020] The Human Toll

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jul 27 12:50:14 PDT 2010

Courtesy of the August 2, 2010 edition of the Army Times -

-------------------------------

The following U.S. service member died while supporting combat operations in
Iraq, confirmed by the Defense Department from July 16, 2010 through July
22, 2010:

Army 1st Lt. Michael L. Runyan, 24, of Newark, Ohio; assigned to the 52nd
Infantry, 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, Schofield
Barracks, Hawaii.

July 16, 2010 - July 22, 2010

Killed: 1; Wounded in action: 5

March 19, 2003 - July 22, 2010

Killed: 4,402; wounded in action: 31,888

-------------------------------

The following U.S. service members died while supporting combat operations
in Afghanistan, confirmed by the Defense Department from July 16, 2010
through July 22, 2010:

Army Spc. Joseph A. Bauer, 27, of Cincinnati, Ohio; assigned to 5th
Battalion, 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, 17th Fires Brigade, Joint Base
Lewis-McChord, Washington.

Army 1st Lt. Robert N. Bennedsen, 25, of Vashon, Washington; assigned to the
2nd Squadron, 2nd Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany.

Marine Lt. Col. Mario D. Carazo, 41, of Springfield, Ohio; assigned to
Marine Aircraft Group 39, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, I Marine Expeditionary
Force, based out of Camp Pendleton, California.

Marine Gunnery Sgt. Christopher L. Eastman, 28, of Moose Pass, Alaska;
assigned to the 7th Engineer Support Battalion, 1st Marine Logistics Group,
I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, California.

Army Pfc. Andrew L. Hand, 25, of Enterprise, Alabama; assigned to 5th
Battalion, 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, 17th Fires Brigade, Joint Base
Lewis-McChord, Washington.

Army Sgt. Daniel Lim, 23, of Cypress, California; assigned to 5th Battalion,
3rd Field Artillery Regiment, 17th Fires Brigade, Joint Base Lewis-McChord,
Washington.

Marine Cpl. Paul J. Miller, 22, of Traverse City, Michigan; assigned to 3rd
Combat Engineer Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary
Force, based at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, Twentynine Palms,
California.

Army Staff Sgt. Conrad A. Mora, 24, of San Diego, California; assigned to
5th Battalion, 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, 17th Fires Brigade, Joint Base
Lewis-McChord, Washington.

Army Pfc. James J. Oquin, 20, of El Paso, Texas; assigned to the 1st
Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne
Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Army Staff Sgt. Brian F. Piercy, 27, of Clovis, California; assigned to the
2nd Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team,
82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Army Sgt. Anibal Santiago, 37, of Belvidere, Illinois; assigned to the 3rd
Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Benning, Georgia.

Army Sgt. Jesse R. Tilton, 23, of Decatur, Illinois; assigned to the 1st
Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd
Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Marine Cpl. Julio Vargas, 23, of Sylmar, California; assigned to the 3rd
Assault Amphibian Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary
Force, Camp Pendleton, California.

Marine Lance Cpl. Frederik E. Vazquez, 20, of Melrose Park, Illinois;
assigned to 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II
Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

Marine Maj. James M. Weis, 37, of Toms River, New Jersey; assigned to Marine
Aircraft Group 39, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, I Marine Expeditionary Force,
based out of Camp Pendleton, California.

Marine Cpl. Joe L. Wrightsman, 23, of Jonesboro, Louisiana; assigned to the
3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine
Expeditionary Force, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

July 16, 2010 - July 22, 2010

Killed: 16; Wounded in action: 135

October 10, 2001 - July 22, 2010

Killed: 1,183; Wounded in action: 7,022

-------------------------------

National Guard (in Federal Status) and Reserve Activated

(as of July 20, 2010)

http://www.defense.gov/news/d20100720ngr1.pdf

And the beat goes on . . .

"Bring 'em Home"

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Bring_em_Home.mp3

"If you love this land of the free

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Bring them back from overseas

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

It will make the politicians sad, I know

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

They wanna tangle with their foe

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

They wanna test their grand theories

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

With the blood of you and me

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Now we'll give no more brave young lives

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

For the gleam in someone else's eyes

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The men will cheer and the boys will shout

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Yeah and we will all turn out

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The church bells will ring with joy

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

To welcome our darlin' girls and boys

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

We will lift our voice and sound

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Yeah, when Johnny comes marching home

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home."

Pro patria,

Tom Hansen

SFC, US Army (Retired)

Moscow, Idaho

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

-- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.