[Vision2020] NOAA: NCDC: June 2010, Jan. Through June 2010, Global Temperatures are Warmest on Record

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 18 15:01:40 PDT 2010

This reminds me.  I've been meaning to run Moscow's numbers for
temperature graphed over time.  So I went to the USHCN website
(http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ushcn/v2/monthly/) and downloaded
their massaged averages file (9641C_201007_F52.avg.gz).  I also
downloaded their list of stations (ushcn-v2-stations.txt).  I then
looked up Moscow in the stations file to get it's station ID, which is
106152, and selectively extracted those rows from the averages file
after unzipping it.  I then loaded this data into the Open Office
Spreadsheet application (Excel would also work, but doesn't run on my
operating system).  I removed the monthly data, leaving only the year
and the annual mean columns.  I then made a computed column which
divided the annual mean numbers by 10, since they have one decimal place
and are saved in the file as integers.  I averaged the annual mean
temperatures and then made another computed column where I subtracted
the average from the individual annual mean / 10 numbers.  This gives me
the temperature anomaly for each year, the amount that it differs from
the average.

I then plotted that using Open Office, and told it to compute the trend
line.  The trend comes out to be negative, Moscow is according to the
data cooling at about a degree a century.

Ted Moffett wrote:
> Given the reasoning of many of the so called "skeptics" (many are not
> really skeptics, of course, but confirmation bias driven denialists,
> while all competent scientists are skeptics by training, including the
> climate scientists who state that the scientific evidence, after
> rigorous skeptical analysis, is compelling that human impacts are
> altering climate to a degree requiring action)

I have to admit, I'm skeptical that this definition of the group of
people who question the AGW theory is really accurate.

Paul