[Vision2020] No "fiesta," please, we're Idahoans

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Thu Jul 8 13:48:06 PDT 2010

Six years ago I had this letter in several newspapers in south Idaho.

"Congratulations on your planning to publish a Spanish-language
newspaper in your area. I think it's a great idea. After all, English-
language newspapers are issued in many cities in Mexico and other
foreign countries.

But isn't it odd that someone with a Spanish name, like Robert
Vasquez, should complain about the Spanish language? If he dislikes
it so much, why doesn't he get himself a "real American" name? Like
maybe Schwab or Chevrolet. Or even Nielsen."

And now we have another Idaho political candidate with a Spanish
name, "Labrador." Where will it all end? "Dios mio!"

Ralph Nielsen