[Vision2020] NRA push poll and membership drive

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Jul 7 13:35:30 PDT 2010

I haven't gotten this one, but a couple of weeks ago I got a particularly simple-minded, fear-mongering poll call remarkable in its vapidity and its transparency.  The clear message -- Visionaires, put down your coffee, because this is truly horrifying -- is that LIBERALS ARE SEX FIENDS.

Who knew?

The poll's sponsors, probably the Idaho Values Alliance and its pals, clearly wanted to explain to me, under the guise of earnestly seeking my deepest convictions, that liberals have a burning desire to saturate our public schools with lurid sex education, that Planned Parenthood is brazenly planning to expand into each of our cities to do the work to which they're committed (that is, "slaughtering babies"), and liberal politicians are using socialized medicine not only to dissolve societal standards of decency, but impel medical providers to devote themselves to the most prurient, debased mockery of true health care and force "decent" pharmacists with "traditional moral values" to participate in the "slaughter of babies" themselves.  Now, I don't normally discuss sex on the phone with men I've never met; I'm funny that way.  But I was more than happy to give my "strongly disagree"s and could feel the confusion felt by the solicitor when I identified myself as a conservative, evangelical Christian.

These kinds of polls are noxious, whether they're liberal or conservative in nature.  I'll say this, though -- I've never gotten a "liberal" push-poll call and I don't know anyone who has.  The two or three I've gotten are clearly biased toward conservative causes and candidates, and to the extent that they represent themselves as disinterested seekers of information and opinion, the people who design and employ them are liars.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com