[Vision2020] American Geophysical Union: The Plainspoken Scientist: "A message to science educators and students about global climate change"

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 19:00:21 PDT 2010

I roll my eyes at these kinds of polls for a number of reasons.

For one, who cares how many people support something?  What matters is
if it's correct or not.  How many scientists rejected the continental
drift theory proposed by Alfred Wegener in 1912?  If they had made a
poll then that asked whether or not tectonic plates drifted slowly
around, there may well have been 98% of the scientists weighing in
against the idea.

For another, I don't usually like the questions they choose.  The
question basically was "does the data clearly demonstrate the earth is
warming and that human activity is contributing to rising
temperatures?"  I would vote yes on this question.  The world has been
warming since the Little Ice Age bottomed out in the 1600's or so.
Based on simple physics, a rise in CO2 has to warm the world at least a
little bit.  We have obviously been burning lots of fossil fuels, so we
have to be contributing to it.  It appears that the natural carbon
sequestration methods can't keep up.  However, that doesn't mean that
the proposed apocalyptic scenarios will play out.  If they're going to
poll all the climate scientists, why don't they give them an interesting
question to answer?  How about the question "how much warming will a
doubling of CO2 from pre-industrial levels produce?" and then give them
1 degree increments from -5C to +5C to choose from.

For yet another, comparing published climate scientists opinions to that
of the earth scientists in general might be more of an indication that
the "pal review" process is working well as a political tool.

Also, at the risk of losing my revered "climate contrarian" card, I'm
vehemently against rewriting textbooks to include creationism and
excluding evolution.  I've studied evolution, and I'm convinced it's
real.  I haven't read any of the school textbooks that cover global
climate change, but if they are heavy on scare-mongering and low on
facts, then I would like them to be revised.  If they happen to mention
that there are scientists that are in the minority that think that
mankind's impact on climate change might not be as bad as the majority
thinks, that would be great.  As long as they don't compare them to
holocaust deniers, flat earthers, or phrenologists, that is.

Paul