[Vision2020] Moscow City Code Requires Bicycles In Operation ToHave Lights 24 Hours A Day?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 23:15:23 PST 2010

Thank you for your reply.

Given the definition of "highway" (49-109 H. (5) "Highway") to include
sidewalks, all bicycles in operation on sidewalks in Moscow require a front
light (and back reflector) between sunset and sunrise, as the code(s) you
reference indicates, with exceptions for dim lighting conditions during the
day (fog, dust, Mt. St. Helens eruption...)

It seems wise for pedestrians, skateboarders (Amazingly, I passed one on the
Latah Trail tonight miles from Moscow well past sundown, where the trail is
quite dark, though there was some moonlight, who did have a light, as did
I), roller skaters, rollerbladers, baby stroller runners, and just plain
runners, to also carry lights on sidewalks and otherwise at night, given the
potential for an accident.  A fit runner can run 10-20 mph, even faster for
sprinters, and thus may be moving faster than a slow bicyclist; thus for a
runner the potential for an accident at a "drive-in," as those areas on
sidewalks where motorized vehicles cross, to enter commercial establishments
or residential locations, is in some cases just as great as for a bicyclist.

Regarding twilight conditions, the code is clear that a front light and back
reflector for bicyclists is required between sunset and sunrise.  Thus
technically, I assume, even if a great amount of daylight is present,
immediately after sunset or before sunrise, not having a front light and
back reflector on a bicycle in operation is a violation.

But what if at twilight after sunrise or before sunset, a streetlight is
clearly illuminating a sidewalk across a drive-in, making the activity at
that location highly visible?

Perhaps the law allows a driver of a motor vehicle in this "twilight"
illuminated by a streetlight, to legally be exonerated regarding the clearly
visible occupant(s) of a sidewalk/drive-in area, if an accident occurs
involving a *bicyclist* without a front light and back reflector being
struck crossing this sidewalk/drive-in area, as the vehicle is turning to
cross the drive-in.  How would this same situation apply to pedestrians and
runners, skateboarders or rollerbladers?  Would a driver of a motor vehicle
at twilight but with streetlight illumination who struck a *pedestrian or
runner, crossing on a sidewalk drive-in, not carrying lights,* be legally
responsible?  Given my understanding, they would.  In fact, unless I
misunderstand the law, any motor vehicle entering a sidewalk/drive-in area
must yield to any pedestrian or runner in the sidewalk/drive-in area, night
or day, streetlight or not, whether the pedestrian or runner is carrying a
light or not.  Correct, or not?  If correct, bicyclists are required to
follow law regarding lighting at night that should, but does not apply to
other forms of human transport.

Perhaps the best assumption given the physics of motorized vehicles and
bicycles and other non-motorized human transport, is to assume motorists
cannot be trusted, period.  The bicyclist should *always* yield to the motor
vehicle, for maximum safety.  Regardless of who is legally right or wrong,
in the letter or the spirit of the law, the motorized vehicle will "win" in
the infliction of injuries, when an accident occurs, given the laws of
physics.

How often is the cause of death on the highways a pedestrian, runner or
bicyclist, skateboarder, rollerblader or roller skater?
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett