[Vision2020] 2010 Census

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 22 11:00:36 PST 2010

On Friday 22 January 2010 09:42:17 Art Deco wrote:
> press.docOur property is posted to keep out a number of pests
> including hunters, salespeople, missionaries, religious
> psychopaths, criminals, nosey parkers/porkers, etc.
>
> Can a criminal trespass action be brought against census takers who
> violate the trespassing laws?

I suppose some windmill-tilting lawyer could file such a case, but I
would not hold much hope for it going very far. Remember that the
authority for the federal census specified in the US constitution,
and there are additional federal statutes requiring citizens to
participate in the census. So a trespassing case against a census
worker carrying out census taking duties would seem to have a low
probability of success given the strong federal mandate for the
census.

On the other hand, if the federal administrative rules under which the
census is conducted extend guidelines to census workers about which
practical situations may be excused from that particular census
worker's visit, that's another matter. In other words, if the feds
say "We won't push this particular case," that's OK, because it's the
fed's initiative. But if some citizen decides the feds don't need to
count anyone at that residence, and the feds do want to count in that
residence, then the citizen is at a considerable disadvantage.

It may be that there are some citizens who might need, in fact, might
foolishly prefer, that the individual civilian census worker driving
a hybrid be replaced by a fully-armored Humvee with half a dozen
fully-armed special forces personnel, just to get the point across
that the census data will be collected, whether or not the citizen
happens to be having a bad-hair day. Fortunately for all of us, there
are statistically more accurate census estimating techniques that do
not require such military participation in census-taking, or give the
opportunity for foolish bravado given such stronger data requests.

Ken