[Vision2020] Brawl in Taiwan Parliament

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jan 19 07:01:38 PST 2010

As bad as our system is, unlike Taiwan, we don't have Nancy Pelosi in a no
holds barred cage fight with Mitch McConnel. Not that it wouldn't be
entertaining, mind you.

Courtesy of Yahoo News at:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100118/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_taiwan_brawl/print

Dozens of Taiwan MPs brawl in parliament
Mon Jan 18, 7:59 am ET

TAIPEI (Reuters) – More than 70 lawmakers brawled in Taiwan's parliament
on Monday, the first melee in the island nation's notoriously rambunctious
seat of government since the ruling Nationalist Party swept to power two
years ago.

Members of the anti-China opposition Democratic Progressive Party (DPP)
wrestled and yanked the clothes of ruling Nationalist (KMT) MPs after
commandeering the speaker's podium to block a law allowing local officials
to be appointed instead of elected.

Three KMT legislators said they were hurt in the melee.

Taiwan legislators, once famous for brawls that had involved spraying
water and throwing microphones, swore off fighting in January 2008, when
the KMT expanded its majority and the overall number of MPs declined by a
half.

Brawls in parliament are seen as one way for the opposition to show voters
that it stands tough on issues.

"A violent conflict erupted in the process after the DPP had exhausted
other means to stop the law," the party said in a statement. The law
passed after the brawl.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3615urOm8Q

Reminder, V-peeps:  The Moscow City Council meets tonight at  7:00.

Let's get ready to ruuuummmmmble!

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown