[Vision2020] Climate Scientist Pielke's Peer Reviewed Criticisms of GISS Temperature Data: E. Michael "Chiefio" Smith's E-mail Address

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 14:46:50 PST 2010

I don't have the time or the full scientific qualifications necessary to
sort through the rampant junk science regarding climate change on the
Internet.  I focus on credible peer reviewed science publications or
statements from well published scientists currently publishing on climate
science, assuming, I think correctly, that most of the garbage science is
filtered out.

Are you suggesting there is more reliable scientific work done outside the
peer review system for science publishing, than within?  There is a huge
potential for dishonesty and shoddy science on many of the Internet websites
that make claims of doing reliable science on climate, when they have not
passed a rigorous scientific peer review process. I have no significant
evidence at this time to call E. Michael Smith's (aka "Chiefio") work on
climate "science."

However, I do study peer reviewed publications and papers for critical
analysis of the science arguing for anthropogenic climate warming.  I will
include below references to peer reviewed papers authored in part by climate
scientists Roger Pielke Sr. and/or Jr, claiming a warming bias and other
errors or misstatements originating from GISS temperature analysis, posted
to the "Pielke Research Group: News and Commentary" website Jan. 16, 2010.

This was posted at this time I think in part because GISS/climate scientist
James Hansen et. al. recently issued a statement regarding 2009 annual
global average surface temperature as tied for the second warmest year in
130 years, and the southern hemisphere in 2009 as the number one warmest
year:
  http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2010/20100115_Temperature2009.pdf
----------------------
This analysis no doubt will arouse the ire of many anthropogenic warming
skeptics, and much critical response from those arguing for a cooling trend
in global climate.
----------------------
E. Michael Smith is not mentioned as an author in the papers listed on the
Pielke website info pasted in below, but given I have not read all these
papers, I do not know if the specific charges he has raised regarding
manipulation of temperature data are addressed.

However, I found a source with an e-mail address for E. Michael Smith, that
appears to quote him directly, regarding his temperature data error analysis
allegations, which clearly involve implications of fraud among some climate
scientists, not just incompetence:

http://www.kusi.com/weather/colemanscorner/40749822.html

E. Michael Smith at *pub4all at aol.com* <pub4all at aol.com>

Comment below from website above:

Smith says after awhile, it became clear this was not a random strange
pattern he was finding, but a well designed and orchestrated manipulation
process. "The more I looked, the more I found patterns of deletion that
could not be accidental."
-------------------------------
http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/

January 16, 2010
NASA GISS Inaccurate Press Release On The Surface Temperature Trend
Data<http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/nasa-giss-inaccurate-press-release-on-the-surface-temperature-trend-data/>

*UPDATE PM JANUARY 16 2010 – Jim Hansen has released a statement on his
current conclusions regarding the global average surface temperature trends
[and thanks to Leonard Ornstein and Brian Toon for alerting us to this
information].   The statement is If It’s That Warm, How Come It’s So Damned
Cold?<http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2010/20100115_Temperature2009.pdf>by
James Hansen, Reto Ruedy, Makiko Sato, Ken Lo
*

*My comments below remain unchanged. Readers will note that Jim Hansen does
not cite or comment on any of the substantive unresolved uncertainties and
systematic warm bias that we report on in our papers. They only report on
their research papers.   This is a clear example of  ignoring peer reviewed
studies which conflict with one’s conclusions. *

****ORIGINAL POST****

*Thanks to Anthony Watts for alerting us to a news release by NASA GISS (**
see<http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/01/15/hansen-responds-to-john-colemans-kusi-special-report/#more-15286>)
which
reads*

*“NASA has not been involved in any manipulation of climate data used in the
annual GISS global temperature analysis. The analysis utilizes three
independent data sources provided by other agencies. Quality control checks
are regularly performed on that data. The analysis methodology as well as
updates to the analysis are publicly available on our website. The agency is
confident of the quality of this data and stands by previous scientifically
based conclusions regarding global temperatures.” (GISS temperature analysis
website: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/)” [note: I could not find the
specific url from NASA, so I welcome being sent this original source].*

*This statement perpetuates the erroneous claim that the data sources are
independent [I welcome information from GISS to justify their statement, and
will post if they do].  This issue exists even without considering any other
concerns regarding their analyses.*

*I have posted a number of times on my weblog with respect to the lack of
independence of the surface temperature data; e.g. see*

*Further Comment On The Surface Temperature Data Used In The CRU, GISS And
NCDC Analyses<http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/2009/11/28/further-comment-on-the-surface-temperature-data-used-in-the-cru-giss-and-ncdc-analyses/>
*

*An Erroneous Statement Made By Phil Jones To The Media On The Independence
Of The Global Surface Temperature Trend Analyses Of CRU, GISS And
NCDC<http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/2009/11/25/an-erroneous-statement-made-by-phil-jones-to-the-media-on-the-independence-of-the-global-surface-temperature-trend-analyses-of-cru-giss-and-ncdc/>
.*

*There remain also important unresolved uncertainties and systematic
biases in the surface temperature data used by GISS [and CRU and NCDC] which
we reported in the peer reviewed literature, i.e.*

*Pielke Sr., R.A., C. Davey, D. Niyogi, S. Fall, J. Steinweg-Woods, K.
Hubbard, X. Lin, M. Cai, Y.-K. Lim, H. Li, J. Nielsen-Gammon, K. Gallo, R.
Hale, R. Mahmood, S. Foster, R.T. McNider, and P. Blanken, 2007: **Unresolved
issues with the assessment of multi-decadal global land surface temperature
trends <http://pielkeclimatesci.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/r-321.pdf>. J.
Geophys. Res., 112, D24S08, doi:10.1029/2006JD008229*

*with only one Comment in the literature on just two of our issues by the
CRU group*

*Parker, D. E., P. Jones, T. C. Peterson, and J. Kennedy, 2009: C**omment on
Unresolved issues with the assessment of multidecadal global land surface
temperature trends<http://pielkeclimatesci.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/r-321b.pdf>.
by Roger A. Pielke Sr. et al.,J. Geophys. Res., 114, D05104,
doi:10.1029/2008JD010450*

*which we refuted in*

*Pielke Sr., R.A., C. Davey, D. Niyogi, S. Fall, J. Steinweg-Woods, K.
Hubbard, X. Lin, M. Cai, Y.-K. Lim, H. Li, J. Nielsen-Gammon, K. Gallo, R.
Hale, R. Mahmood, S. Foster, R.T. McNider, and P. Blanken, 2009: **Reply to
comment by David E. Parker, Phil Jones, Thomas C. Peterson, and John Kennedy
on “Unresolved issues with the assessment of multi-decadal global land
surface temperature
trends<http://pielkeclimatesci.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/r-321a.pdf>.
J. Geophys. Res., 114, D05105,
doi:10.1029/2008JD010938*

*with the referees agreeing with our Reply (**see reviews contained within
this post<http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/reply-by-pielke-et-al-to-the-comment-by-parker-et-al-on-our-2007-jgr-paper-unresolved-issues-with-the-assessment-of-multi-decadal-global-land-surface-temperature-trends/>
).*

*The NASA GISS (and NCDC and CRU groups) have also not responded to the
systematic warm bias that we reported in*

*Klotzbach, P.J., R.A. Pielke Sr., R.A. Pielke Jr., J.R. Christy, and R.T.
McNider, 2009: **An alternative explanation for differential temperature
trends at the surface and in the lower
troposphere<http://pielkeclimatesci.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/r-345.pdf>.
J. Geophys. Res., 114, D21102, doi:10.1029/2009JD011841.*

*Klotzbach, P. J., R. A. Pielke, Sr., R. A. Pielke, Jr., J. R. Christy, and
R. T. McNider (2010), **Correction to “An alternative explanation for
differential temperature trends at the surface and in the lower
troposphere”,
<http://pielkeclimatesci.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/r-345a.pdf>J. Geophys.
Res., 115, D01107, doi:10.1029/2009JD013655.*

*The GISS news release is symptomatic of the continued attempt to ignore
science issues in their data analysis which conflict with their statement in
the press release. This is not how the scientific process should be
conducted. *

*We urge, based on the exposure of such type of behavior in the CRU e-mails;
i.e. see*

*The Crutape Letters <https://www.createspace.com/3423467> by Steven Mosher,
Thomas W. Fuller, 2010 ISBN/EAN13: 1450512437 / 9781450512435*

*that the suppression of alternative viewpoints ends.*

**
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett