[Vision2020] Roger: The Rich Don't Pay More Taxes

nickgier at roadrunner.com nickgier at roadrunner.com
Thu Jan 14 22:46:55 PST 2010

Hi Roger.

I find it very frustrating to have a debate with you, but I will respond to
several of your points:

Roger: Over the long haul no county with a state controlled economy has
prospered as well as those where most of the businesses are in the hands of the
private sector.

Nick: I agree with you, but no Western European country has ever had a state
controlled economy.  Your reference to the failure of Communism is simply a big
fat red herring.

Roger: There were in the past unfair labor practices. Thanks to Sammuel Gompers
and other that has changed.

Nick: You must have missed my recent columns on labor relations reform. Here are
some excerpts:

In 2004 the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service reported that 45 percent
of employers have refused to sign contracts with their duly elected unions.  Why
don't they respect the results?!

After a study of the elections monitored by the National Labor Relations Board
(NLRB), University of Oregon political science professor Gordon Lafer concluded
that "the system is so corrupt that it doesn't remotely resemble the democratic
process we think of when we use the term 'election.'" He means corruption on the
part of employers not the hapless employees.

Survey after survey show a majority of workers saying they would vote for a
union, but only 7 percent of private employees are unionized.  There is
something terribly wrong with this picture.

Under current law employers can prohibit access of union organizers to the
workplace and employers routinely set up one-on-one meetings of supervisors and
employees.  Intimidation plain and simple.

One in five employees openly advocating union representation are fired during
the election process, and surveys of employees have indicated that they
experienced twice as much coercion during elections as they do during the card
signing process, which the Employee Free Choice Act will require unless 30
percent of the bargaining unit objects.

Roger: They and such federal entitles as fanny and freddy are responsible for
the mess we are in today.

Nick: the Right keeps trotting this one out even though it has been shot down
time and time again. Fanny and Freddy issued very few of the bad loans.

Roger: You criticize me for not providing documentation, but you just state that
some areas with  tight gun control have low crime, with out giving any
documentation.

Nick: It is common knowledge that Western Europe has far lower crime rates than
we do and they have very strict gun laws.

Thanks for the dialouge,

Nick

argument.  I offer solid data from Europe on taxes and the economy and you
respond that my comparisons are not valid.

> > You have to give reasons why they are not valid.  You don't win any points
by simply saying that you don't accept my arguments.  You had an equally
unsatisfactory response to my response that many countries have tough gun
control and very low crime rates.

> > American businesses set up on right-to-work states so that they will not
have to people living wages, where their employees will not get decent health
care, and where they will have to commute long distances because there is no
public transportation. California will come back as soon as it solves its basic
problem: citizen's initiatives that create chronic political instability.