[Vision2020] Roger: The Rich Don't Pay More Taxes

nickgier at roadrunner.com nickgier at roadrunner.com
Wed Jan 13 10:04:09 PST 2010

Good Morning:

In his book "Free to Choose" and accompanying TV series Milton Friedman proudly starts with Hong Hong, a city state with fewer people than Denmark.  If the libertarians can use Hong Kong and scale up from there to argue for radical free markets, then there is no reason not to use Denmark to make a case for social democracy.  I could have also chosen Germany (80 million people) or France (64 million) to make the same points.

The homogeneity argument simply does not wash. At one time Denmark was receiving more immigrants and refugees per capita than any other country in the world.  Sweden has accepted over 70,000 Iraqi refugees and now offers language instruction in over 60 languages for the school children of non-Swedes they have allowed to live in their country. (These students are expected of course to learn Swedish and they do.) We would have to invite about 2.4 million Iraqis into our country to match Swedish compassion.

Denmark has all the human problems that we have, and they have been more successful in solving them better than we have.  For example, their teenagers have the same hormones as ours do but their teen pregnancy and abortion rates are far lower than ours.

In the early 1970s European countries were more dependent on foreign oil than we were, but now, primarily because of fuel taxes that are at least ten times ours, they are much less dependent.

Large or small, these countries have solved basic problems of human civilization much better than libertarian America.

Thanks for the dialogue,

Nick

Denmark has an excellent economic system, no doubt a world envy. However, Denmark isn't even the size of New York City, and doesn't have the same problems faced as the US. So a comparison of a nation of less than 6 million homogeneous people with a low minor and foreign population to a nation of over 300 million is not realistic.

Roger says that no person should be taxed more than 75% of their income. I disagree if the taxes are overwhelmingly benifieting the wealthy, or they are causing such a public mess that we must tax them to address the issues and problems they generated.

A manufacting plant that pollutes the air, and only employes people at minimum wage will generate lots of needed tax revenue for education, food stamps, subsidized housing, and to address the pollution to clean up and medical problems they cause.

When a company pays below livable wages, what they are really doing is shifting part of the worker's compensation to be paid by the taxpayer in government subsides. So the taxpayers are perfectly justified in taking a larger portion of income from those that create such a huge need for public subsidies to be made.

Your Friend,

Donovan Arnold