[Vision2020] Edmonton, Alberta: warmest winter ever?

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sat Jan 9 11:09:05 PST 2010

Thanks, Nick, for that info on my former place of residence. The
coldest temperature I experienced in my 6 years there was -40F or C
(same). When it's that cold and you are walking into into even a
slight breeze you can't run, or you will inhale too much cold air too
fast. Your nose freezes, so you periodically have to take a hand out
of a glove or mitten to thaw your nose. Then you put the hand back to
warm it up until the next time. If you weren't lucky enough to have a
"plug-in" for your car at your place of work, you had to spend your
coffee breaks running your car to warm it up so the battery wouldn't
freeze.

Oddly enough, in 1968, the fifth winter after I came to Moscow, I was
in Mexico City, where the headline of the largest newspaper,
Excelsior, was "Minus 40 grados en Moscu, Idaho!" -40 is the same in
F or C.

A couple of years ago I heard on the CBC (1010 AM, Calgary) that in
Alberta they now need air conditioners in domestic dwellings in
summer. A man in Edmonton, who had a luxury penthouse apartment, had
to spend $30,000 to get air conditioning installed.

And we mustn't forget that in northeastern Alberta, humans are
operating one of the largest producers of carbon dioxide on earth at
the Athabasca tar sands near Fort McMurray.

Ralph

nickgier at roadrunner.com nickgier at roadrunner.com

Sat Jan 9 10:27:08 PST 2010
Good Morning Visionaries:

I set my Roadrunner weather to Edmonton, Alberta, where my daughter
and son-in-law live.  They had the warmest November on record and
these temperatures today indicate that it may turn out to be their
warmest winter in recorded history.

Jan. 9, 2010 27°-3°F.  The usual January day is 20 degree cooler, but
I should check with Ralph Nielsen who used to live there for many years.

Folks, we are talking global climate change not bad weather here and
there.

Nick Gier