[Vision2020] pre-legislative newsletter from Rep. Tom Trail

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Jan 6 15:04:45 PST 2010

Re: [Vision2020] pre-legislative newsletter from Rep. TomI received the note below from Tom Trail.  I hope he doesn't mind that I share it.  I think we are in agreement on this point.

Telling citizens what tax exemptions cost them is part of a larger issue: the public's right to know.  How can citizens in a representational form of government correctly decide what to communicate to their representatives or which representative to support if the are lacking access to critical information?

The cost of tax exemptions is not some super perilous information upon which the very security of our country/state rests unless it is kept secret.  Their is no legitimate reason to keep this information secret -- now secret because it is impossible for citizens to find this information.

However, how much taxes each of us pay and if taxes are reasonably fair is a critical issue.  And one where knowledge is crucial if we are to participate meaningfully in government.

Therefore, in my opinion, those who oppose setting up a mechanism which would allow us to see exactly what all state/federal exemptions costs individually and in total are as morally unfit to govern as those who oppose open meetings, open public/judicial records, and any other reasonable ways of the public accessing information needed so that they may better govern themselves.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843