[Vision2020] Hawaii Braces for Possible Tsunami

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Sun Feb 28 00:44:43 PST 2010

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your concern.  I'm just now getting around to answering the
emails.  It was  a strange, strange day.  We live at sea level, well maybe 5
feet above.  Many on the Islands knew the tsunami was headed our way even
last night, but we didn't.  The civil defense folks kept in touch with the
hotel personnel and condo managers, calling every hour from midnight on.  At
5:45 we woke up to a loud knock on the door and were told the sirens would
begin going off in 30 minutes and we were to be headed for higher ground
within the hour.  For those who had no place else to go, the parking lots at
Walmart, K-Mart and Home Depot were being cleared for evacuees.  We were
lucky a friend from Capt. Cook called and invited us there.  We were afraid
we would hit a lot of traffic, but it wasn't bad.  A major worry of course
is the lack of roadway in all the islands, but especially here on the Big
Island, and a majority of the population and all but one of the resort
hotels are scattered along the coastline, right in the tsunami zone. For the
most part, hotel guests were moved to the top floors.  But some did have
contracts with bus lines and moved guests and staff to high ground in
Waikaloa Village and North Hawaii.

We spent the day watching the ocean.  For those of you who know the Big
Island, we were on the high land just above Kaalekakua Bay and the Capt.
Cook Monument.  The wave was projected to hit Hilo on the east at 11:02 and
move to the Kona side by 11:30.  The prediction was that given the magnitude
of the quake in Chile, if the tsunami hit it would simply wrap itself around
all the islands, hitting on every side.  There were surges along all the
coastlines, but nothing else.  We were extremely fortunate.  By late
afternoon the roads were beginning to reopen.  We ate dinner with our
friends and got home about 5:00.  Everything is back to normal, except the
beaches will be closed until at least Tuesday because of unpredictable
currents.

Ironies:  Every service station we passed had long lines--as though anybody
can go many miles in any direction.  Several stations ran completely out of
gas.  And Safeway ran out of milk.  One of the stores in Honolulu had a sign
in front:  Limit 2 cases of Spam to a family.

Again,  thanks for your concern.

Sue