[Vision2020] More school laptop spy cam stupidity

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 19:50:26 PST 2010

Students in K-12 public schools do not have full adult civil rights, in
their lockers, for example, given what I have read on this issue regarding
current law on constitutional rights   A student's locker may be searched by
school authorities, with no legal protections.  And cameras for surveillance
are common and legal in public and private institutions in many cases, for
adults and minors.  We are on camera with video footage stored, often in
public on the streets, the bank, the grocery store, etc.  Smile!

But the surveillance in this case occurred in the homes of adults, students
parent's homes, homes ostensibly with full guarantee of civil rights under
the Bill of Rights of our constitution (or what's left of these rights,
after the Patriot "Unpatriotic" Act, justified by the "War on Terror," and
other erosion of civil rights to pursue the "War on Drugs").

The constitutional rights of the adult parents were thus violated if the
surveillance occurred in their homes, if not the students (who may be
minors) rights, it seems to me... Assuming we have any rights left...

Those under the age of 18 have limited legal rights in some cases.  Even
those over the age of 18 sometimes have legal limitations... Old enough to
die in war for your country, and vote, yet not old enough to
legally purchase a beer?  What is the logic?  If someone has the wisdom to
make a responsible decision in voting, perhaps the most important act of a
citizen in a "democracy," then does it not follow they have the wisdom to
make a responsible decision whether or not to purchase a beer?

Perhaps this illogical legal situation reveals an unconscious lack of
respect for the wisdom required to cast a responsible vote, given we regard
voting as requiring less maturity in age than the decision to purchase a
beer.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett