[Vision2020] Say What?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Feb 21 17:20:13 PST 2010

Gee, the Christian Right "gullible"?  Why, I'm stunned . . . I had no idea.

But, of course, the gullibility of the Christian Right is legendary and at times apparently limitless.  The "celebrity" conversion -- and I'm being generous here in attributing "celebrity" to the least articulate, least attractive, and least accomplished of the Four Baldwin Brothers -- is seen as some sort of ticket to the arena of cultural legitimacy, kind of like a feather in our collective cap, a cap we hope the other kids will find cool on Monday morning.  A predictable spiritual vacuum -- and examples of gross analytical vapidity like Baldwin's -- results from an expression of faith that seeks cultural legitimacy from those it ought to instead lovingly deliver from a debauched culture.

When Christiandom exults in the endorsement of those who know little and practice less regarding the faith -- when the culturally-compromised Church treats  conversion as a stamp of approval from the converted instead of as an intimate, joyous, and comprehensive spiritual rebirth -- it invites the kind of unabashed dumbness that makes headlines.  Tragically, the Christian Right, in Hollywood or in the Beltway, stumbles all over itself to shove a microphone in the hands of celebs who say they're joined with Jesus, and intelligent people on the Right and on the Left, as well as apolitical evangelicals concerned with the witness of the Gospel, scratch their heads and wonder what kind of political movement would be so devoid of thoughtfulness that it would turn to Stephen Baldwin for analysis?

I guess the only other question is, "What kind of electorate would be so devoid of thoughtfulness that it would reward that party with its vote?"  The answer is, to me, potentially chilling.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com