[Vision2020] January 25-29th (week III) Legislative Newsletter)

Rep. Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Thu Feb 18 20:01:23 PST 2010

This is the laste of the older newsletter - all
future newsletters will be current.
You can always go to www.infotrail.com/Idaho and
get older updates.

        LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER
III—JANUARY 25-29/2010

Constituents:

Everything is about the economy in discussion of
issues facing the citizens of
Idaho
 within the Idaho Legislature. Here are some
of the news items of the week.

1.     Revenue
Projections—The revenue projection
committee lowered both the FY 10 and FY 11 projections by $69 million and
$59 million.  Basically state legislators picked lower figures than
the Governor’s Office.
It appears that even with using remaining reserves to patch this
year’s budget that we will be looking at the possibility of another
10 percent holdback or cut for FY 11.   This would be a damaging
blow to public and higher education.   There is some talk (very
faintly) in the hallways that the only way to prevent the damage that
would set our public and higher education systems back is revenue
enhancement.  It is
interesting that the citizens of Oregon approved two tax increase bills by
a 54-46 vote on Tuesday to increase taxes which will benefit education in
that state.

2.     Public
Education — The public education scene is
tragic.   Evidence indicates that 50 of our 115 school districts
have no money or reserves.
This figure will continue to increase.   Although the
majority of these districts are rural, a superintendent from a medium size
district called the State Department of Education and said that they would
be broke on May 1st and wondered if they could close the school
down.   We cannot do this because under the Idaho Constitution
we are required to provide a comprehensive and throughout education for
the students in the state.

Superintendent Tom Luna is recommending
the use of reserve funds, cutting his own office budget, and tapping funds
of the State Land Board.   Luna proposed $83 million in new
money and cuts to help close a $135 million gap between his proposed
budget and that of Governor Otter.  A key element in his plan would
be to pull $53 million from a $90 million Public Schools Earnings Reserve
Fund administered by the State Land Board.  He is also recommending
the following cuts  a) freeze pay hikes for teachers who get raises
for more time on the job--$6 million; b) eliminate early retirement
incentives-$2 million; c) cut reimbursement for field trips--$1 million;
(d) reduce money paid to teachers for classroom supplies from $300 to
$200--$2 million; (e) eliminate funding that guarantees a district 99
percent of its average daily attendance funding from year to year if
enrollment drops--$5 million; and, (f) combine technology and textbook
funds and reduce funding $9 million.

I will be sponsoring legislation to
provide school districts in delaying the implementation of the increased
math and science courses and standards by a period of two
years.   Many rural districts are simply unable to recruit
qualified teachers to teach the math and science courses.   The
districts are facing dire financial straits with the current economic
situation and with additional unfunded mandates facing them.   A
two year window would provide them time to help right the financial ship
if the economy turns around.   School Districts that are already
committed to proceed with the increased Math and Science Standards could
still move ahead with their programs.

3.     Department of Parks
and Recreation—I had a meeting with
Director Nancy Merrill, Parks and Recreation, today.   We talked
about the Dworshak Park situation.   She reported that she and
her staff are working with local officials to work out the details to turn
over the management of the Park to the County.  It is essential to
keep the park open because it is provides vital stimulus to the local
economy.

Sen. Schroeder investigated information
that a Parks and Rec Board member visited all of the state parks this past
summer.  The board member did
not pay any park fees and charged all of his mileage to the
state.   Director Merrill reports that Board policy has been
changed to prevent occurrences of this kind in the future.

4.     Lochsa Land
Exchange—Information has been received
that the U.S. Forest Service hearings have been postponed until July
2010.   It is interesting to note that the founder of
Western Pacific Timber, Tim Blixseth, owes Idaho County about $217,000 in
back property taxes.  Part of the land swap would impact Idaho
County.   As one constituent reported,   Mr. Blixseth
needs to move the land swap ahead so that he can pay his back taxes.

 5.   A Question for
Constituents:   I have received
information that a group of Idaho employees bills the state for spouse
travel for both domestic and international trips because they deemsuch
expenditure to benefit the state.    I know of no other
group that receives such perks.

       What is your
comment on this information?    I’m gathering further
information on the subject.

6      Animal Cruelty
Legislation—During the past year a
broad coalition of stakeholders including livestock producers,
the Dairymen,   the Idaho Humane Society,   STOP-stop
torturing our pets, dog breeding associations and others have worked
together to develop badly needed animal cruelty legislation.
Sen. Corder and I have been working with the various groups and the
legislation will be introduced next week in committee.   Cock
fighting would incur a felony penalty under this legislation, and
increased fines and other penalties would be assessed against those who
especially have three convictions against them for animal cruelty and
torture.

7.      State Employees
Working Halftime — Not too long ago
Governor Otter proposed to take medical insurance and benefits away from
those state employees working half time.  He reported it would save
the state millions of dollars.   I wrote a letter to the
Governor opposing this move because employees without insurance might
actually cost the state more in the long run.  Our Human Resources
Committee will hopefully be handling this piece of legislation when it is
introduced and I think that the chances that it might be defeated are
good.   Dan Pokey, a Statesmen reporter, criticized,
legislators for being covered by medical insurance, and that we are only
about half time employees.
Eighteen of the 107 of the state legislators are not covered by
state paid insurance including myself.    I made that
decision when I was elected.   I wanted to keep my health
insurance from WSU.   Legislators might be classified as half
time employees in one respect; however, the number of hours that
legislators put in varies dramatically.

        I kept
track one year and found that I worked an average of 20-25 hours a week on
state business outside of the legislative session and about 50 hrs a week
while in session January – April.

That’s all for this week.   Please
send me your comments and suggestions.  My e mailis ttrail at house.idaho.gov and my office phone is (208) 332-1184

Rep. Tom Trail