[Vision2020] Legislative Report from Ringo

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Tue Feb 16 12:09:44 PST 2010

Shirl,

Thanks for the message.  Imposing furloughs on conscientious employees is most assuredly a tax on their income.  Buildings may be closed, but the work is still there to be done by someone.  That or all the citizens of Idaho lose services to which they are entitled.  Our taxable income is considerably less than it was when both Norm and I were working, but even so, I'd willingly pay a surcharge if it would mean that Idaho citizens got the services they need.  I think the $50,000 floor should be adjusted downward to spread that effect more broadly and raise more revenue.  It seems to me a surcharge on all taxpayers would be the fair move at this time.  Everyone is hurting, but all of us benefit from the services the state provides.

Would you publish the email of the  House State Affairs Committee if you know it offhand.  Dennis Lake's veiled attempt to punish a segment of the population he has never appreciated anyway is a travesty. He says it's a fairness thing.  That's bs...Dumb isn't his hallmark, mean is.  He knows his  actions save the state no money.  COLA funds come from PERSI Retirement funds, not state revenue.  Ironically, should his bill pass, it will negatively affect the state revenue stream and further depress revenue projections.

As far as the Conscience Bill:  On the surface it may seem reasonable.  Forcing someone to perform an action in violation of her or his beliefs seems somehow unfair.  But I see this move as a draconian endeavor to impose a specific set of values upon women (of course, I'm sure the bill isn't that specific, but when David Ripley is helping shepherd it through the process, it's obviously an anti-choice endeavor) who are seeking a legal medical prescription or service--a legal act, even in Idaho.  It reminds me of the signs I grew up reading in segregationist Texas:  "We refuse the right to provide service to anyone."  While those words were broadly written, we knew exactly to whom they really applied.

Thanks for all your hard work.  See you in April.  Wonder if you'll sine die before we get home on the 7th.  Lord, I do hope so.  As regards the Idaho legislature, Mark Twain's words were right on...as long as it's in session, nobody is safe.

Sue H.