[Vision2020] Snow storms and global warming

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Feb 11 13:06:17 PST 2010

If over a period of years the change in glacial ice mass would be markedly positive, then the probability of long term global warming would need to be re-evaluated.

I'm am not nearly as up on this as Ted, but what I read weekly in New Scientist is there are not many scientists publishing in refereed journals that believe that human activity is the sole cause of global warming.  What is contested is how much human activity contributes, and what might be done to reduce this component.  There is evidence of past volcanic eruptions such as Krakatoa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakatoa and other natural activities having a very short term effect on world climates because of the amount of ash, etc released into the atmosphere.

The old theory when I took physical geography and geology (which really dates me) was that increased moisture would lead to lower temperatures, snow, and snow accumulation (bigger, better glaciers).  That was part of the explanation given for the four most recent ice ages.  The state of the ozone layer is currently used by some to explain that while there appears to be more moisture in the atmosphere, more solar radiation is reaching the earth's surface.

I do not have global experience of the reported great loss of glacial ice mass, but I have witnessed over the last 50 years, and especially over the last 30 years the huge loss of glacial ice in the Canadian Rockies.  Alaskans tell me the same story about many Alaskan locales.

As far as I'm concerned, the earth has plenty of resources but there are just too many people using them and using them unwisely which contributes in part to global warming.  I see no solution to this whole over-population, over-consumption problem in the near future, but only that it will get worse and with it, barring some unforeseen natural events, some very life changing changes.

But all this is speculation based on currently asserted probabilities by a very large portion of the relevant scientific community.  Our knowledge and understanding in this area is far from comprehensive at this point, and as with any knowledge claims, subject to correction based on further observations.

W.