[Vision2020] Outdated Language Targeted

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Thu Feb 11 12:07:47 PST 2010

interesting.  Over the past few years teachers have been getting some good information regarding the education of children diagnosed with Asperger's, which we do recognize is a mild form of autism, but the distinction has been important educationally because the the teaching strategies are markedly different for children with Asperger's than for those with classic "autism."

The term "retarded" is an anachronism with no real educational value.  The term is not descriptive of specific disabilities, in fact the word means "to slow down" leading to an inference that the person was once  working at a greater intellectual level than currently.  It has been a number of years since I've seen it used at all in education circles.

Sue H.