[Vision2020] An Idea With Some Merit?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 8 13:43:47 PST 2010

On Monday 08 February 2010 10:24:51 keely emerinemix wrote:
<[snip]>
> I find the idea of Congressional representation based on race and
> income really quite appealing in some respects.  Of course it'll
> never happen, just as honest representation of poor people's
> concerns under the current system won't, either.
<[snip]>

While I will admit to some empathetic understanding of the suggestion
implicit in representation based on demographic characteristics, I
find that the suggestion likely misses the more important point
concerning just what should be the optimal mix of characteristics in
an effectively-operating legislature.

One presumes, not without some concerns, that legislators gather in
legislatures to solve civic problems, mindful of the interests of at
least the electorate, if not the population at large. Would the
electorate be best served, then, if this collective legislative brain
were composed of parts chosen in proportion to the numbers of the
various types of cells of which the electoral body is composed? For
example, certain percentages of skin cells, of muscle cells, of bone
cells, of various organ cells, and, of course, of fat cells, too?

In a word, no. A brain, legislative or not, is a specialized organ
composed primarily of specialized cells with very complex networks of
interconnections among its various sections and parts. It doesn't
need bone cells or muscle cells, except perhaps metaphorically, to
function most effectively. Just as proportional selection of
representatives for various cellular constituencies will not build
the best brain, so too will proportional selection of representatives
for various demographic constituencies not build the optimally
effective legislature.

What sort of legislature might the electorate prefer, in its own
better interest? Perhaps one composed of forward-looking, prescient,
problem-solvers, men and women whose collaborative, cooperative, and
communicative styles, and whose decision-making frames of reference,
are predominantly focused more toward the future than fixated in the
past. The political philosophies, life activities, and mental
cultures of people who lived before the widespread advent of
electricity likely are not as appropriate for those who now consider
themselves to be members both of local and global constituencies. Yet
our legislatures seem composed more of the latter than the former.

Ken