[Vision2020] Legislative Report, Feb. 6

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2008 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 7 12:00:41 PST 2010

Rep Ringo,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

My opinion is to just cut across the board, everything by 10 percent, unless you can get 2/3 of  everyone and the governor to agree to eliminate some programs completely or more drastically to avoid cutting another more important program.

I would cut salaries by 10% rather than letting people go to the unemployment lines costing the state more money in other ways.

I don't think raising taxes on income is the answer. $75,000 a year income does seem like a lot. However, understand that about 30-40% of young families get some financial support from their babyboomers parents that make that $75,000. So taxing will hurt all of Idaho.

Eliminating the tax credit on food is not a good idea either. Taxing food is very regressive taxation on the poorest of the poor. Most of Idaho's poor are in fact children. Taxing food out the mouths of children is a grave disservice to society.

I do think it makes sense to tax alcohol and tabacco, as well as some services such as message, hair, nail, and luxury transportation.

The problem with taxing internet sales is it would cost more to regulate it than you would probably collect.

I would review and repeal tax exemptions that are ineffective. However, I would be careful not to eliminate jobs in the process which would decrease revenues and increase expendatures at the same time.

Thanks for listening,

Donovan Arnold