[Vision2020] "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 21:57:34 PST 2010

http://bible.cc/matthew/19-24.htm

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a
needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
------------
This is one of my favorite Bible quotes.  I should clarify that I am an
agnostic, regarding the existence of "God," but this does not mean that I
negate all wisdom from the Bible.

Recently discussion on Vision2020 has focused on rural vs. urban behavior
patterns in Latah County, regarding propensities towards criminal behavior.
No doubt the poor and uneducated (rural, in come cases, though urban
populations in some areas are also uneducated and poor) do commit crimes in
some categories at a higher rate than the rich and educated.

But when considering this issue at large, I think the rich commit or are
connected to committing far more "evil" than the poor.  I am oversimplifying
the subject, given that "rich and poor" are a complex continuum of economic,
political and social variables.  Some who are poor might be surprisingly
educated while some who are rich are not so... But given the behavior of
wealthy organized crime, the organized violence of the State, and the greed
of multinational corporations focused primarily on their bottom line, on a
global scale, the poor simply do not have the power or wealth, the means, to
commit as much crime, as much "evil," as the rich.  I could expand this
thesis with historical references in abundance... But any Vision2020 reader
could do this research.

I think it wise to avoid trite aphorisms, if possible, but when appropriate,
they make a valid point: "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts
absolutely."  The poor simply do not have the power or wealth, again, I
state, to be as evil as the rich, even if they wanted to...

How many innocents have been killed or suffered due to the pursuit of the
wealth and power of the educated (or not so) powerful rich?  Does being
educated and wealthy assure someone is not morally corrupt?  Does the
pursuit of wealth and power sometimes involve a compromise of moral
principles, which in some cases means those who choose to not make certain
moral compromises, do not attain wealth or power?

 Ted Moffett