[Vision2020] "Dupus Boomer's" at CUB: Re: Collision at WSU CUB February 10 at 6pm

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 20:25:56 PST 2010

http://www.wsutoday.wsu.edu/pages/publications.asp?Action=Detail&PublicationID=12109&PageID=&ReferrerCode=uggc%3A%2F%2Fjjj.jfhgbqnl.jfh.rqh%2Fcntrf%2Ffrnepu.nfc%3FCntrVQ%3D%26Xrljbeqf%3Dblfgre

"The name Dupus Boomer’s originates from a cartoon created by Dick Donnell
that ran in the Richland, Wash., Villager weekly newspaper from 1945-1950.
The much-loved cartoon was a humorous portrayal of the lives of people
living in federal housing in the Richland area during the pre and post-World
War II era."
-----------------------------

I was surprised to discover the extensive remodel of the WSU Compton Union
Building over the 2009-10 holidays, when I biked to Pullman from Canyon Rd.
to view the film "Avatar" in 3-D at the Village Cinemas.  I had time to
spare before the showing, so I biked around the WSU campus, nearly deserted,
or so it seemed.  The CUB was open, to my surprise, and a
certain information desk attendant (so beautiful!) informed that "Dupus
Boomer's," a bar and restaurant, was open for business on a lower level.  I
commented that it was rather incredible for a bar to be operating in an
institution aimed at promoting scholarly studies, much less open for
business, given the deserted WSU campus, as I explained (I first asked if
they knew the percentage, which they did not) that the US is a mere
approximately 2% of the total surface area of our planet, so that whatever
weather the US experiences, is a tiny fraction of global climate, while the
oceans are 70% of global weather; and that marine microorganisms
threatened by ocean acidification from human sourced CO2 emissions, are a
critical pillar of the global biosphere/climate system, far more so than
polar bears. The information desk attendants at the CUB at WSU appeared more
aware of the ecological crisis humanity is facing, than many people I talk
to in person, or some on Vision2020.  A happy discovery!

Does the U of I have a combined bar and restaurant business on campus?  I
don't recall such an offering on the U of I campus.  I walked to the lower
CUB level, and indeed "Dupus Boomer's" was open, with hard liquor and
various delightful cuisine offered.

WSU is very different than the U of I.

Ted Moffett