[Vision2020] Say What?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Feb 1 12:04:08 PST 2010

“Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be
guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? I have more
responsibility here than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago,
and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of
not knowing what I know. That Santiago’s death, while tragic, probably
saved lives. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible
to you, saves lives. I know deep down in places you don't talk about at
parties, you don’t want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use
words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a
life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have
neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises
and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question
the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on
your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post.
Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to!”

- Jack Nicholson, as Colonel Jessup in "A Few Good Men"

It wouldn't be that big of an imaginary stretch to say that these comments
made by "Colonel Jessup" could, with just a few minor modifications, apply
to the duties and commitment of those in the legal profession.

I mean . . . I could just see Sunil "Colonel Jessup" Ramalingam addressing
the likes of Donovan Arnold and Roger Falen with these comments.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown