[Vision2020] Installment 16: Integrity

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 07:28:10 PST 2010

This seems wrong. To act in accordance with what is right or wrong is to be
moral or ethical. But being moral or ethical is not equivalent to having
integrity. Here is a revealing paragraph from another on-line source, *The
Encyclopedia of Philosophy <http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/integrity/>*.

"Integrity is one of the most important and oft-cited of virtue terms. It is
also perhaps the most puzzling. For example, while it is sometimes used
virtually synonymously with ‘moral,’ we also at times distinguish acting
morally from acting with integrity. Persons of integrity may in fact act
immorally—though they would usually not know they are acting immorally. Thus
one may acknowledge a person to have integrity even though that person may
hold importantly mistaken moral views. When used as a virtue term,
‘integrity’ refers to a quality of a person's character; however, there are
other uses of the term.

"One may speak of the integrity of a wilderness region or an ecosystem, a
computerized database, a defense system, a work of art, and so on. When it
is applied to objects, integrity refers to the wholeness, intactness or
purity of a thing—meanings that are sometimes carried over when it is
applied to people. A wilderness region has integrity when it has not been
corrupted by development or by the side-effects of development, when it
remains intact as wilderness. A database maintains its integrity as long as
it remains uncorrupted by error; a defense system as long as it is not
breached. A musical work might be said to have integrity when its musical
structure has a certain completeness that is not intruded upon by
uncoordinated, unrelated musical ideas; that is, when it possesses a kind of
musical wholeness, intactness and purity."

*The Encyclopedia of Philosophy *<http://plato.stanford.edu> is a great
source for philosophical information by the way.