[Vision2020] Going 'Nuts' for River Control

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Dec 31 05:34:01 PST 2010

Courtesy of the Letters section of today's (December 31, 2010)
Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Brett Haverstick.

Going 'nuts' for river control

On the first day of the megaload contested hearings, Idaho Transportation
Department Administrator Alan Frew said the main reason for giving Conoco
Phillips/Emmert International permission to blockade more than 40 turnouts
on U.S. Route 12 24 hours in advance of a megaload coming up the road was
to prevent "nuts" from protesting in and/or blockading the turnouts. To
say that Idaho citizens are "nuts" for having legitimate concerns over the
megaload shipments on Highway 12 is complete idiocy. After attending two
days of testimony, I instead severely question the competency of the
department and certain employees. But ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

What if someone wants to go fishing or access a trailhead to hike? Or what
if someone has car problems or a trucker needs to adjust his load? Where
do they park? Why are Idaho citizens being blocked from their own tax
dollar-paid turnouts? Why is ITD rolling out the red carpet when there is
a local anti-megaload petition with close to 4,000 signatures? To heck
with public safety, convenience and the fact that a megaload just arrived
in Montana via an alternative route through the Midwest. Seems like a
perfect time for north central Idaho folks to go "nuts" and show Frew our
river corridor isn't for sale.

Brett Haverstick
Moscow

Well stated, Mr. Haverstick.