[Vision2020] Installment #15: Purpose

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 13:45:33 PST 2010

What if you were determined to do something BUT you had no desire to
achieve anything? What would that be called?

Let me give you an example, Jeff.

Suppose someone was determined to post different "values" every day
for several weeks but it wasn't clear what one intended to achieve by
doing so. Maybe it started out that one just wanted to change the
subject of a conversation but once that purpose was achieved he kept
going, posting different "values" every day with no end in sight.

You couldn't really call it a "purpose," could you? For a purpose
requires an end or a goal, something to be achieved. So if there was
no end, no goal, no achievement, what would you call it? Would it be
PURPOSELESS? I don't suppose this is a value, is it? I checked and it
is NOT on the list.

Actually, this is all just illustrating the value of LAUGHTER, which
is on the list. I'm hoping that tomorrow you'll post RESPECT or
HONESTY since I have a few things to day about those values. My bet is
the one that means the most to you is PERSISTENCE.