[Vision2020] Who pays US income tax?

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Dec 28 12:02:45 PST 2010

  Hi Nick,

Yes, I have heard you argue these points before.  However, you skew the
sample and leave out important issues for us to consider.

You tend to sample only "successful" countries and you often cite
Denmark, Norway and Sweden as role models.

You never discuss Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, UK, France - where
each of these countries are undergoing significant fiscal stress.

Also, you don't address the immigration standards.  I would be most
pleased to adopt any of the immigration standards used by the
Scandinavian countries.  As a result of their rigid standards, they are
able to have a relatively homogeneous population.  This circumvents the
need for massive support for the less affluent - people from the
Scandinavian countries are expected to pay their own way.  My family,
the Sorviks, hailed from Norway - our US roots were definitely
influenced by the Scandinavian culture.

This seems a double edged sword for you - do you condone the rigid
immigration standards in play by Denmark, Norway, Sweden?

Would you support those standards here in the US?

For those unfamiliar with the aforementioned standards, here are some
links to quick summaries for Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Germany.
Obviously, if you are planning to apply for citizenship in any country,
you should go to the official sites for current regs.  What you might
want to do is review the standards and see if you meet the minimum
standards for immigration.  Many of them use a point system.  Most of
them require that you have a position with a local firm, with a minimum
salary to assure that you can "pay your way"

Denmark    http://denmarkimmigration.blogspot.com/

Norway    http://www.ehow.com/list_6783527_norway-immigration-laws.html

Sweden
http://www.ehow.com/list_6701977_sweden-immigration-requirements.html

Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Germany#Immigration_regulations

Nick, this could be an important thread to pursue.  Perhaps we can
identify some key performance indicators that we agree upon and then set
about to gather info about selected countries and post those results.
Perhaps that will help lead our community along a path for how to
position our community, our state and our country.  Certainly it could
help us identify our priorities.

Happy new year.