[Vision2020] Please Respond to Main Point Re: Installment #2 - Character

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 10:24:49 PST 2010

To require advertising to reveal who is funding ads is a non-partisan
issue, to encourage transparency in the political process, or in other
matters, regardless if it's billionaire progressive George Soros, or
billionaire conservative Philip Anschutz.

Perhaps this could be termed the value or virtue of full transparency
and honesty in the behavior of the wealthy as they utilize this wealth
to control the public.

The power that billionaires wield, given their immense capacity to
influence opinion, behavior and politics, via buying or controlling
media exposure, is so great exercising this power indicates full
disclosure of the source of the advertising.

Why does Anschutz not offer this full disclosure in the Foundation for
a Better Life campaign?

Consider the answer to the following question from the FBL website,
which seems to disingenuously (is being disingenuous a value or
virtue?) dodge the fact this effort is funded by Anschutz, though not
in all respects:

http://www.values.com/about-us/faq#affiliated

Where does the money come from to support your public service campaigns?

Public service media, by definition, is donated by the television,
theatre, outdoor, print, and radio media outlets. Their generous
contribution of time and space allow these messages to be seen and
heard around the world.
----------------
If the following source is correct, why does the FBL website not
reveal that Anschutz owns theater chains where the FBL ads are
running?

http://sandiego.indymedia.org/en/2002/03/710.shtml

His corporate empire includes a majority holding in Qwest
Communications and ownership of several sports teams and arenas.
Significantly, he also owns the United Artists, Regal and Edwards
movie theater chains, where the FBL commercials are being shown.

More on Anschutz:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=The_Foundation_For_a_Better_Life#cite_note-FAQS-1
-----------------------
Colorado billionaire supporting nationwide propaganda campaign

http://sandiego.indymedia.org/en/2002/03/710.shtml

>From website above:

Philip Anschutz, who the BBC described as having "a reputation as one
of the hungriest of US corporate vultures", is currently using his
wealth and power to support a slick ad campaign appearing on 10,000
billboards, in hundreds of movie theaters, and on nearly a thousand TV
stations across the country. The Foundation for a Better Life
(FBL)—the non-profit entity that officially produces and distributes
the ads—has no contact information on its website, forbetterlife.org,
but a series of posts and comments to the portland indymedia open
publishing newswire uncovered the connection between Anschutz and FBL.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett