[Vision2020] Values and Virtues

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Fri Dec 24 10:31:36 PST 2010

  As this conversation moves forward, some "common ground" seems useful.

Virtue, as described in my handy Columbia Viking Desk Encyclopedia advises:

    ... in philosophy, a moral judgment of the good of human conduct.
    The cardinal virtues, as presented by Plato, were wisdom, courage,
    temperance, and justice.  Called natural virtues as contrasted with
    the Christian theological virtues of faith, hope, and character.
    The Platonic virtues are achieved through training and discipline;
    the Christian virtues are regarded as dispositions for good residing
    in man.  By the 14th century, the two were combined and named the
    seven cardinal virtues.  They are found, with the opposing seven
    deadly sins in such medieval literature as Dante's Divine Comedy.

The seven deadly sins are usually described as: pride, covetousness,
lust, anger, gluttony, envy, and sloth.

On to "values".  Webster's New World keeps it simple:

    Values are the social principles, goals, or standards held or
    accepted by an individual, class, society, etc.

The "Values.Com" site states this about their project:

    The Foundation does not have a political or religious agenda. Our
    values are selected with the hope that most individuals would find
    these values universal, encouraging, and inspiring. The Foundation
    acknowledges that each person has a unique lens through which he or
    she views the world. Naturally there are religious, nonreligious,
    political, and cultural views that give meaning to our lives. Our
    objective is to provide a wide spectrum of values without any
    intended agenda or slant and provide an uplifting message around
    each one.

Seems rather clear to me.