[Vision2020] Please Respond to Main Point Re: Installment #2 - Character

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 09:23:10 PST 2010

Joe Campbell wrote:
> I'm not talking about any of this. I'm just saying it is a legitimate
> question to ask who is behind a website, for it might help reveal some
> kind of hidden political agenda. And I noted that several people seem
> to think it is a legitimate question.

It was a legitimate question.  And it's been answered.  Good job to
everyone that ferreted out that little bit of information.

> I am not going to waste my time talking to you about the details of
> the hidden agenda because, as you yourself suppose, you are naive and
> are unlikely to believe anything I say.

I'm not *hopelessly* naive.  I just like to give people the benefit of
the doubt up front.  I am Pollyanna enough to think that if more people
did that, the world would indeed be a better place.  I am curious now
and I would be interested in hearing what this hidden agenda is, and
what leads you to believe that it exists.  I will be unavailable for a
few days, though.

> All I'll add is that anyone
> who has gone to the trouble of supposing that slavery is not immoral
> cannot be too concerned with the promotion of values or virtues, so
> there is good reason to think the discussion has more of a political
> motivation than an ethical one.

One of the many downsides of being in a position where you need to
support someone whose views you disagree with is that after all is said
and done, people walk away thinking you agree with the views of the
person you were defending.  I don't think that slavery is not immoral.
I also don't think that Doug's book fits the definition of "hate
speech".  Those two statements are not the same thing.

> If kidnapping and holding people
> against their will are not WRONG and contrary to any legitimate set of
> values or virtues, then we've fallen down the rabbit hole and nonsense
> is the norm. But frankly you are too naive to see even this very clear
> point, so there is not much use to talking to you about it. My point
> was only that YES it is legitimate to ask who is behind a website.

Oh well.  Have a nice holiday.

Paul