[Vision2020] Please Respond to Main Point Re: Installment #2 - Character

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 06:59:35 PST 2010

I did not indicate the virtues being discussed were not important.

I pointed out that the individual supporting the Foundation for a
Better Life has funded efforts I do not think are vituous (bigotry,
junk science).  You may disagree.

My main point was objecting to front groups funding advertising where
the source of the advertising is not disclosed.  Therefore I think the
Foundation for a Better Life advertising should disclose who is
funding it.   I presented data on this issue regarding the 2010
election, that neither you nor Paul R. responded to.  I am including
this data again at the bottom.

Of course sometimes the message can be separated from the messenger.
But sometimes in advertising this is definitely not the case,
especially political advertising.  Some of the front groups
advertising is deliberately deceptive, and disclosing who is funding
the advertising would help reveal this deception to the public.

I think transparency regarding who is funding advertising, especially
politically oriented ads aimed at influencing elections, helps the
public make informed decisions about what is the real intent behind
the advertising in question.

This is not a partisan issue.

Consider that groups supporting George W. Bush's election funded
advertising for presidential candidate Nader.  If people knew the ads
were being purchased by those seeking to defeat Gore by promoting
votes for Nader, perhaps the public would not have been duped by these

Again, here is the data from the post you responded to, data that you
made no reference to, on front groups advertising influencing the 2010
election:

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2010-December/073326.html

Advertising using front organizations that do not reveal the forces
behind the advertising is a powerful tool to deceive the public and
manipulate public opinion.

This tactic was used successfully to promote the Tea Pary agenda in
the 2010 election:

Citizens Blindsided: Secret Corporate Money in the 2010 Elections and
America’s New Shadow Democracy

https://www.pfaw.org/media-center/publications/citizens-blindsided-secret-corporate-money-the-2010-elections-and-america-

>From website above:

While we do not know who is funding such organizations, we do know
that the groups which played a significant role in the 2010 elections
are overwhelmingly backing right-wing candidates.  “Outside groups
raised and spent $126 million on elections without disclosing the
source,” according to the Sunlight Foundation, which “represents more
than a quarter of the total $450 million spent by outside groups.”
Republican candidates largely benefited from the downpour of
undisclosed money, as pro-GOP groups that did not reveal their donors
outspent similar pro-Democratic groups by a 6:1 margin.  The
nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics reports that of the top ten
groups which did not disclose their sources of funding, eight were
conservative pro-GOP organizations.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett