[Vision2020] Purpose of Postings

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Dec 21 19:43:00 PST 2010

  Actually, I don't really enjoy having a dialogue with you, but I will
do my best to provide responses so that those that want to participate
in the emergence of a value each day may do so without some concern or
fear that I have a hidden agenda or scheme afoot.

Therefore, here are my answers to your questions.

On 12/21/2010 7:08 PM, Joe Campbell wrote:
> OK but could you just explain to me why you posted this in the middle
> of a discussion on freedom of expression? After all, the title of your
> initial post was "Values to Live By Freedom of expression" which is
> odd to say the least, if not rude. Either you just cut off a
> conversation or your post had something to do with Freedom of
> expression or something else, I know not what. I'm just trying to find
> out.
Response: My interest in the "values" was triggered by the soap box spot
that had played earlier that day - the one where a kid is entering in
the soap box race and before starting the race, gives up his spot to a
youngster that is physically challenged.

Shortly thereafter, I was perusing the net to learn more about the media
spot and wandered into the "Values" site.

I flipped over to email and decided to post what I did.  I intended to
start the thread with "Values to Live By" and inserted that in front of
the Freedom of Expression tag - and simply forgot to remove that
language from the subject line.  That was my mistake and for any
inconvenience or trauma which I caused, I am extremely regretful.  It is
not surprising to me that you can't find a link between the
sportsmanship value and the conversation you were engaged in with the
V.  There isn't one - sportsmanship was selected, as noted earlier, by a
random draw from the list of 80+ values.
> What was it about the discussion that led to this abrupt change of
> topic? What was it about sportsmanship, or values in general, that led
> to the post? On the face of it, it is a little like interrupting
> someone in the middle of a conversation with a quite different topic.
> Seems to me it would be considered rude by most standards.
I had no intent of "interrupting" a conversation, but I have apologized
for that.  I trust that ends the matter and our dialogue on the subject.