[Vision2020] Chris Hedges' New Book "Death of the Liberal Class": Obama is "Poster Child for the Death of the Liberal Class"

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 13:06:19 PST 2010

I listened to this interview.

 It was a bunch of supercilious boomer nonsense from a fading leftist
who believes that his unreported arrest in front of the White House
was apparently meaningful political action (indeed, the only
meaningful political action) rather than a waste of bail money with no
rational relationship to any conceivable policy goal. He also does
not, apparently, recognize that the period which he is discussing was
an uninterrupted series of the following:

Japanese detention, the McCarthy era, the Korean war, the Cuban
Missile Crisis, the Bay of Pigs, Vietnam, Watergate, Ford, the failed
Carter administration, Reagan, the first Gulf War, welfare reform, and
George W. Bush. During this period, union membership declined, wages
stagnated, and segregation continued.

He seems to excuse the enormous problems the left faced because his
preferred tactic -- public protest -- was more prominent.
Consequently, he's no longer able to engage productively in politics,
and pretends at being a martyr of the left, when it's his tactics --
and not his politics -- that are outdated and unproductive.

-- ACS