[Vision2020] A Thought to Ponder

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Dec 18 17:47:14 PST 2010

Next time somebody (maybe a local ill-informed blog, for instance)
criticizes the reasoning behind the fight against Emmert International,
Conoco, and the megaloads they intend to transport down Highway 12, recall
the words of U.S. Senator Frank Church . . .

"Yes, we want to make these rivers readily available for public use, and
we want also to install facilities which are compatible with the natural
environment that will attract public use and enjoyment of the rivers.  The
bill does make the protection of the river in its free-flowing state, and
the scenic view from the river, primary objectives of public policy, so
that these other activities (multiple-purpose uses) will be managed in a
way that is compatible with the preservation of the natural character of
the river itself. I think that, in the light of the burgeoning demand for
outdoor recreation, there are few priorities that are higher than timely
action to preserve wild rivers - not alone for those in our generation who
will benefit from it, but for future generations..."

- U.S. Senator Frank Church during an interview by "Field and Stream"
(March 31, 1966)

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown