[Vision2020] Installment #2 - Character

Gier, Nicholas NGIER at uidaho.edu
Thu Dec 16 09:52:46 PST 2010

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for alerting us to this website. I've written a lot about virtue and character formation. My major work on the topic is "The Virtue of Non-Violence: from Gautama to Gandhi," chapters of which can be read at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/vnv.htm

One virtue is missing from the long list at the website and that is the widely misunderstood virtue of pride.  My column on the topic can be read at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/Pride.htm

We will be better persons and a better nation if we learn to stress the virtues rather than blind following of rules.

Thanks again for the link.

Nick

Nicholas F. Gier, Professor Emeritus
Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
"The Palouse Pundit" on Radio Free Moscow, 92.5 FM
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFT/AFL-CIO www.idaho-aft.org/ift.htm
208-882-9212, 1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843