[Vision2020] students away from home

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 1 23:11:05 PST 2010

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I apologize for the delay in responding, but things got away from me with
the holiday, and I didn't want to let this pass without thanking Keely for
her thoughtful post.  I think she makes excellent points.

One of the enduring criticisms I've heard about the Daily News over the last
several years is the disproportionate number of "fluff" (or human interest)
stories about NSA & Logos compared to other local educational institutions
when looking at enrollment.  Other area schools have great things going on &
inspiring students as well, something readers of the Daily News wouldn't
have much - if any - idea about.  Indeed, this clear preference is one of
the reasons a lot of folks have given up on the Daily News providing
unbiased coverage.

Personally, I find the clear preference for NSA & Logos fluff stories -
although not the individual human subjects themselves, of course --
repulsive.  Perhaps it's as you imply - that NSA, and Logos, presumably -
simply excel at shameless self-promotion.  Nonetheless, it's the job of real
journalists to do a decent job getting the stories when "government" and
other local school teachers & administrators are focused on providing
quality educations rather than on finding time for shameless self-promotion.
Human interest stories shouldn't be limited to what shows up on someone's
desk virtually written for the reporter; at least, that's not the way a real
newspaper operates.

I challenge the Daily News to - for 365 days - provide the same number,
based on enrollments numbers, of human interest stories about schools other
than NSA & Logos as they provide for those two schools.  How about it, Daily
News - are you up for the challenge?  You might actually find your
subscriber numbers increase if you paid the same attention to students at
the other local schools as you give to the two local schools that excel at
nothing so much as shameless self-promotion.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2010 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****