[Vision2020] The Human Toll

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Aug 17 13:21:07 PDT 2010

Courtesy of the August 23, 2010 edition of the Army Times -

-------------------------------

The following U.S. service member died while supporting combat operations in
Iraq, confirmed by the Defense Department from August 6, 2010 through August
12, 2010:

Army Spc. Jamal M. Rhett, 24, of Palmyra, New Jersey; assigned to the 1st
Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry
Division, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.

August 6, 2010 - August 12, 2010

Killed: 1; Wounded in action: 5

March 19, 2003 - August 12, 2010

Killed: 4,404; wounded in action: 31,907

-------------------------------

The following U.S. service members died while supporting combat operations
in Afghanistan, confirmed by the Defense Department from August 6, 2010
through August 12, 2010:

Army Pfc. John E. Andrade, 19, of San Antonio, Texas; assigned to the 3rd
Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany.

Marine Staff Sgt. Michael A. Bock, 26, of Leesburg, Florida; assigned to the
3rd Combat Engineer Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary
Force, based at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms,
California.

Marine Cpl. Kristopher D. Greer, 25, of Ashland City, Tennessee; assigned to
4th Combat Engineering Battalion, 4th Marine Division, Marine Forces
Reserve, based out of Knoxville, Tennessee.

Army Sgt. Christopher N. Karch, 23, of Indianapolis, Indiana; assigned to
the 2nd Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat
Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Marine Sgt. Jose L. Saenz III, 30, of Pleasanton, Texas; assigned to 1st
Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary
Force, Camp Pendleton, California.

August 6, 2010 - August 12, 2010

Killed: 5; Wounded in action: 131

October 10, 2001 - August 12, 2010

Killed: 1,203; Wounded in action: 7,427

-------------------------------

National Guard (in Federal Status) and Reserve Activated

(as of August 10, 2010)

http://www.defense.gov/news/d20100810ngr.pdf

And the beat goes on . . .

"Bring 'em Home"

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Bring_em_Home.mp3

"If you love this land of the free

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Bring them back from overseas

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

It will make the politicians sad, I know

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

They wanna tangle with their foe

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

They wanna test their grand theories

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

With the blood of you and me

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Now we'll give no more brave young lives

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

For the gleam in someone else's eyes

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The men will cheer and the boys will shout

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Yeah and we will all turn out

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The church bells will ring with joy

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

To welcome our darlin' girls and boys

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

We will lift our voice and sound

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Yeah, when Johnny comes marching home

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home."

Pro patria,

Tom Hansen

SFC, US Army (Retired)

Moscow, Idaho

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

-- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.