[Vision2020] Facebook; The death of Vision 2020?

Reggie Holmquist reggieholmquist at u.boisestate.edu
Sat Aug 14 13:29:52 PDT 2010

That is a reasonable response, Saundra.  I still think it comes down to what
the purpose of this forum is.  If it is for discussion only, then I think it
serves it's purpose fine.  I am not really of any opinion at the moment, but
I find this to be an interesting discussion.  I get a little upset because
it feels to me like certain folks are shouting down other folks who are only
trying to foster a rational discussion about something that affects us all.

Saundra makes good points about facebook.  I will say that it is not as easy
to make a fake fb profile as you say, though.  Sure, it is easy to make a
fake account and hook it up to a throwaway e-mail, but let's think about
this.  First of all, we have to realize that it's a small amount of folks
who are nutty enough to go through all that rigmarole.  The ones that are
willing to do this will make a fake facebook account but they won't have any
"friends" on that account.  Or comments.  Or anything.  It will be very easy
to detect these sorts of folks and ban them.  As opposed to making a fake
account for a listserv like this one, for which all you need is a throwaway
e-mail and nothing else, making it much harder for admin's to detect these
sorts of folks.

As far as trolls go, it is very easy for a group admin to ban a troll from a
facebook group.  Again, I am not advocating this, just trying to be
informative.

Regardless, why should anyone *switch* from V20 to fb when Tom could just
create a V20 fb page and we could do both?  At the very least this might
invite some folks into our community that were not previously there.

I'm not fully sure why it is important to be able to look up who said what
and when.  In fact, I'm not sure I like everything I say to be so easily
accessible and permanent.

Regardless, my main problem with this message board is that there are a lot
of things I feel like I can't say here that I would feel comfortable saying
in a facebook group or in a more private forum.  As a liberal, I would like
to be able to discuss plans and strategy and formulate ideas within a
liberal community without feeling like I might be tipping off conservatives
in the area to what we are doing.

The most important thing, though, is that we should be able to talk about
this without feeling like we are being shouted down.

-Reggie

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what
the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be

Douglas Adams